The Grant Family in Buckhead
It is hard to imagine now, but what is now the Cherokee Town Club at 155 West Paces Ferry Road was once an idyllic private estate set on 100 acres. Called Craigellechie, this beautiful residence now turned club, was built by John W. Grant and his wife Annie Inman Grant in 1917. They operated a farm on the property and raised their children there while managing their many business, civic, and social interests.
John and Annie hailed from some of the founding families of Atlanta (Annie’s Brother built the nearby Swan House). The Grants helped establish Georgia Tech and the Jackets still play on Grant Field today. After both had passed away in the mid 1950’s, Cherokee Country Club (which was just forming) purchased the home and surrounding land as their new clubhouse.
When the Grant family sold their home to Cherokee, they retained substantial land holdings that surrounded the new club. Their land filled the gap between West Paces Ferry, Habersham Road, Roswell Road, and Andrews. The family developed this land and created the southern extension of Valley Road, Grant Valley Road, and Valley Circle.
In all 78 new residential lots were created and sold, all except for four lots. After several decades, these final lots are finally being made available, making space for four lucky new families in the neighborhood. The family has now made the decision to sell their remaining four lots that have been held for generations. While Buckhead never stops growing and moving forward, it is always nice to take a moment to appreciate the history of this place. And as Paul Harvey would say “And now….you know the rest of the story“.